Friday, July 03, 2009

My First Day with the Hutchinson News









I moved into my apartment in Hutchinson on Monday, of which I'll post photos soon. Then on Tuesday I came in for my first day as the photo intern for The Hutchinson News, where current chief white house photographer Pete Souza once shot. Amidst filling out paperwork and attempting to learn photo processing routines, I ran out on a somewhat spot news assignment. A Great Horned Owl had gotten himself stuck in a barbed wire fence out in the country north of town. A man had noticed it while driving to work and called his wife, who called just about everywhere in town to try to get the bird some help. When I got there he was all alone and not looking very happy. Luckily after about ten minutes Ken Lockwood from the Eagle Valley Raptor Center in Cheney, Kan. showed up and cut the owl free. As far as I know, the owl is doing well- here is a link to the story and today's follow-up in case you'd like to know more about his condition. I was very relieved that the owl got some help and hopefully he'll fully recover and fly again. Anyway, it was a great first day and I'm definitely looking forward to shooting more assignments and exploring Hutchinson and "the better part of Kansas."

2 comments:

Garrett said...

Three things:
1. Is that a reflection shot I see you making there? Well done, sir.
2. The owl. I read the story, cringed at the shots - and I realize this sounds ambiguous so let me clear it up: the cringing resulted of the bird's condition and pain captured so well, not from crap photography. Saw the shot on the Hutchinson News website, and though it's very small, I loved it as well. And, though unrelated, I'm also impressed by how many comments went up on this story - turns out people give a hoot about owls...
3. Specifically on the last photo - you take some quite interesting headless portraits of people (recall, if you will, that shot in your portfolio... you know, of that dude, and his chest-face).

Patrick A. Traylor said...

Yeah dude, the people care about this owl- nice pun btw. And, indeed, I thrive on cutting off heads with my frame.