Monday, July 13, 2009

A Day at the Downs










On Friday I shot my first Ad Astra Sunday photo page for the Hutch News. I went back down to Anthony, Kansas to Anthony Downs to shoot the horse and dog races. It was a really fun time shooting and the officials were very cool about giving me all the access I wanted. The jockeys and track staff also were incredibly accommodating and had no problem with me clicking away while they went about their business. After shooting for the entire evening, I have a new respect for jockeys- they get pretty beat up out there. I saw multiple riders get thrown from horses and even one guy get stepped on afterwords by the horse. But there's something about it they have to love, which keeps them coming back- some of the guys I talked to had been jockeys for 30 years or so. They ride because they want to and for little pay and usually little glory, which as a photojournalist is something that I have to respect.

Thanks for looking,
Pat

1 comment:

Garrett said...

i love horses, man. and talk about action shots. couldn't figure out the picture of the beer cans for the longest time.. but OH it's a table.