Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Zapatos








This is a few days old now but I haven't had a chance to post this until now. I tried to post this yesterday' but it was going to slow and I had to be back at my house in time for dinner. On Sunday I went with Jeanne and Bob to give out shoes that were donated by students from North Scott (Scott County, Iowa) elementary schools. We visited two families on Sunday and later some other families came to Jeanne and Bob´s house... but these photos are from just one of the families we visited.

It was pretty cool to see how excited all the kids got about getting new shoes. When we got there the kids were either wearing no shoes or really ratty ones. I've been visiting a lot of families that have kids in the Centro Maya program with Jeanne and hopefully I´ll be coming back to most of the families to photograph them living their daily lives. It's hard enough to convince people that speak your language that you don't want them to pose but it's next to impossible trying to convey that in Spanish, which I speak horribly, to people that speak Spanish as their second language to their tribal Mayan languages.

Always interesting.

-Pat

2 comments:

Erica Magda said...

wow- a lot of really nice ones. yea- that'd be sweet to go back and spend time with them.

brad said...

dude, that little girl photo, amazing. she looks like a doll. the first time i just was like oh, a worn out doll. very nice images.