Saturday, January 17, 2009

San Juan La Laguna


Una tortilla.



Mi cuarto (my room).



More of my room.



Angelica feeding some of the pollitos (baby chickens) in the yard. After they got their food I helped her wrangle them all back into the basket that they live in, which was a surprisingly not so easy task.



Me relaxing outside my room reading Emalie´s high school Spanish/English dictionary. Yo mucho necessito.



Cristobal, one of my housemates. He wants to learn English and I want to learn Spanish so hopefully we´ll be helping each other towards those goals.



A sign at the San Juan muelle greeting visitors.



The dock (muelle) in San Juan where you can take a lancha to some of the other towns and villages on the lake.


Today is my second day waking up in San Juan. I´m actually updating from an internet cafe in San Pedro, the slightly larger more touristy town about 1km from San Juan. Jeanne and I took a pick-up truck here this morning for 2 quetzales (about 25 cents) I´m staying with a family that my friends Bob and Jeanne from home know through the Centro Maya program. Angelica is the mother and three of her children live there as well, who are all in their 20s or late teens, along with the two children of the eldest daughter. Angelica cooks for me everyday, the cost of which is part of my rent. The food is delicious- always homemade tortillas with any combination of rice, beans, potatoes, avocado, tomato salsa, and eggs. It´s a bit awkward since my Spanish is muy terrible, but I´m hacking my way through and I think I´m getting slightly better everyday.

Yesterday I was shown around San Juan by Bob and Jeanne. I went to one of the Spanish language schools that one of their friends runs, down to the muelle, and to see their house that they recently built. I went to the first volunteer meeting for Centro Maya. Although I didn´t really understand anything that was said it was interesting to meet some of the other people that I´ll be working with. Although I´ve taken many snapshots, I haven´t really made any strides toward starting photo projects as of yet. I´m still trying to get settled, figure out my way around the area, and get adjusted to speaking a language that I barely have a grasp of. Definitely good times though.

The Centro Maya school doesn´t start officially until next week but we have plenty of things to do there starting on Monday. Until then I guess I´ll be just hanging out, walking around, and trying to get my Spanish to a more acceptable level.

Adios,
Pat

1 comment:

Roxana said...

i know what you mean about having know idea what is being said, but it is definitely easier to catch on when you are around it all the time and can use everything around you to figure out what's going on. speaking is another story though. the country looks beautiful and i'm glad you're room is full of winnie the pooh.