Monday, January 19, 2009

San Pedro








On Saturday I took a pickup truck for 2 quetzales (about a quarter) to San Pedro and wandered around. It´s a lot different than San Juan in that there are way more foreigners walking around and foreigner owned businesses. Lots of stuff for the backpacker crowd. I´ll definitely be exploring more there in the future.

While in San Pedro, Jeanne and I also visited a family that sends their daughter to the Centro Maya program. The conditions in some of the houses here are pretty poor and it´s no surprise why they are apart of the food assistance program Centro Maya offers to some of the families. Despite everything they´re lacking, everyone seems very happy.

The last two pictures are of some weavers in a cooperative in San Juan that I came across with Jeanne. She was able to translate and explain to them what I wanted to do and they eventually got comfortable with me snapping photos. I think Jeanne usually takes some of the material and woven objects back to the US to sell for them and my photos will likely be used to show where the cloth came from.

1 comment:

brad said...

dude, I am loving that basketball shot. I've looked at it a lot. simple, fun, awesome photo.