Monday, March 09, 2009

Tikal and Flores







I left San Juan on February 27th- took a boat across the lake from San Pedro to Panajachel where I'd booked busses to take me to Flores in the northern jungle reigon of Guatemala called the Peten. After like 10 or so hours of riding on a bus, I arrived in Flores at 6am on Feb. 28th. I had some breakfast and then went to Los Amigos hostel to look for tour recommendations for a trip to El Mirador, a 6 day walk in the jungle to and from the largest Mayan pyramid ever built. At Los Amigos the guy that recommends tours hooked me up with Stephanie and Daniel, a couple from Germany who wanted to do the tour as well. I went to Tikal for the day with Stephanie and Daniel and explored the ruins with them and an Australian chap named Luke. Tikal is the biggest tourist attraction in Guatemala- definitely the best restored and most accessible Mayan ruins in the country, and a city of as much importance as any in Mexico. After we got back from our day tour we checked out some sort of festival going on in Flores. Good stuff.

1 comment:

Erica Magda said...

i love the princess by the telephone shot. so cool. and the bumble bee.