Sunday, November 30, 2008

Juletumtes and the search for the Julbock




Today I went to Bishop Hill, Ill. to make some photos of Julmarknad, a traditional Swedish Christmas market that they have every year. Amid my search for things to take photos of, I was assaulted with volleys of snowballs by a group of often mischievous characters from Swedish folklore, the Jultumte (pronounced Yule-tumpty). It turned out they were just children wearing costumes, but it was exciting none the less. Also, reporter Brian Krans and I searched for and eventually found the Julbock (Yule-bock), another Swedish folk character of Christmastime. But too bad for the Julbock, it too had an encounter with the snowball toting Jultumtes.

3 comments:

Roxana said...

these are great patty- love the colors in the first one esp. did you get my texas postcard yet? i mss you!

Patrick A. Traylor said...

Thanks Roxy. Yes, I got the postcard. Thanks a lot. It's always awesome when those show up. South Padre Island sounds a whole lot better than snowy, cold Illinois right now.

Erica Magda said...

oman sweet. love the last one. why are there so many weird people by you?